1/30/07

WFMW: Keeping Boxes Neat


I have a decent sized pantry closet. Its not a walk-in pantry, but it has a lot of space. One thing I have found, though, is that it gets messy really fast!

One part that especially gets to me is when people take the last item out of a box and the next person who goes for a Pop Tart opens the box only to find it empty. It really burns my biscuits!

My friend and I were discussing this last year and she mentioned that she cuts off the tops of the boxes with a box cutter or utility knife before she ever places it in the cabinet or pantry and it saves a lot of mess.
Now you can plainly see when someone has left the empty box for Mom to throw away.

I'm sure that y those of you who frequent Organizing Junkie will recognize this as containerizing. It is much simpler than that, though. In this case, the container comes WITH the items you are containerizing!

I have even made it one step easier, I just tear the flaps off the box. It works so well because items are in plain view, no need to pick the whole box up to take something out of it. I also use this idea under the sinks with feminine products- saves a lot of fumbling around in a hurry or in the middle of the night.

Removing box tops works for me! Visit Rocks In My Dryer for more tips or to post your own!

7 comments:

Carol said...

Excellent idea! Thanks!

Rebekah said...

I have a lazy susan so I always sut box tops off, otherwise the get caught in the 'spin' process. And my Caleb is famous for getting the last snack and leaving an empty box.... Grrr

Rebekah said...

oops the would be 'cut' not sut

Taya @ Delightful! said...

This is a great idea! Thank you! Have a great day!

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

Great tip. And thanks for commenting on my blog and even bigger THANKS for the tip on hyperlinking. This blogging thing is h-a-r-d... :)

Unknown said...

Great idea! At my house, it is wife that puts it away, not just mom. What's up with that anyway?!!

Mari
Slowing Down
Franklin Foto
Come visit me. I'm a nice girl!!

Amy said...

Fantastic idea! I would have not thought of that!! Thanks so much!