12/8/06

I've always disliked X-mas

I've always disliked X-mas.

The term, not the holiday.

I never thought it was right to abbreviate Christ's name to a simple "X".

Tonight, as I was searching for a Chirstmas word game for my son's classroom party, I found the following (at this site):

The word Christmas is derived from Middle English Christemasse and from Old English Cristes mæsse.[1] It is a contraction meaning "Christ's mass". The name of the holiday is often shortened to Xmas because Roman letter "X" resembles the Greek letter Χ (chi), an abbreviation for Christ (Χριστός).

I guess I am proven wrong.

But I still won't abbreviate. Call me stubborn!

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Well! Thats information that I sure didnt know! I never liked using the word "X-mas" either, kinda felt like blasphemy to me, but I guess not, huh? :) Have a wonderful night!