9/10/08

WFMW: Lunch Tip



Back to school means back to packing lunches. If not everyday, we at least have to pack a lunch or two for field trips and special outings.

When we pack lunches for field trips, the school asks that everything in the lunch be disposable so the kids can toss the bag and don't have to worry about bringing anything back with them. I think its a great idea.

I prepare for this throughout the year by keeping any of the plastic forks and spoons that we get with takeout food. They make perfect throw-aways for lunches and some even come with napkins wrapped with them. I figure they are figured into the price of the meal we buy anyways, and if we eat at home, we can just use our silverware and keep this stuff for when it is really needed.

Works for me Wednesday

3 comments:

Kim said...

Our schools here are completely different in that they request you send non-disposable items. All lunch items must be in reusable containers and all trash (apple cores etc..) must be taken home. I reuse plastic spoons too.

Stephanie Appleton said...

Great idea to save the takeout items.

I guess I can kind of see why the school would request disposable for field trips, but I think it is crazy that the school mandates how you pack a lunch. I mean if your kid is responsible enough to take reusable and doing that is important to you why not? Or if you don't want to mess with reusable why should the school tell you that you have too? Sorry but it seems a ridiculous to make a rule about to me.

Audra Krell said...

I do the same thing. I take the eating utensils from restaurants and then I put them in the dishwasher to reuse another time. : )