8/7/07

"I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address."


Some changes are coming to our home. Not only will school be starting soon, but since I work in the cafeteria, work will start back up for me.


Steven will be going to preschool 3 days a week this year as well which will be an adjustment for him. While he enjoyed preschool last year, he didn't exactly jump for joy when I'd wake him up and tell him it was a preschool day.


Matthew is looking forward to 4th grade, but his anxiety is building. I know there are a million and one things that run through a child's head with an impending school year, but Matthew is more anxious this year than he has ever been. I am not sure whether hormones have anything to do with it or not. He has been unusually moody lately. I attributed it to a fever and headache he had last week, but now I think it is more than that.

My boy is growing up. His mind is full of the many questions that come with age. He is starting to notice girls. He is taking on more responsibilities. His emotions are going in fifty different directions and he can't figure out how to get a firm grasp on them anymore. Life has more gravity than it ever did.


Matthew started his Enrichment Academy classes this week and it is just what the doctor ordered! His mood changed instantly. He came home excited to share the things he had learned and was just as excited when he repeated it to Daddy when he got home from work. I this short stint of classes will be enough to sustain him until school begins.



I am trying to find a way to ease the transition back into school for both of the boys. They have a steady bed time over the summer anyway, but the routine needs to change. Our days will begin earlier and will be more active. No more getting up to leisurely enjoying a bowl of cereal followed by computer time or watching cartoons. We will be getting up, eating, getting dressed and out the door.

Evenings will be filled with homework, sports practices, dinner, baths and making lunches. While I long for the comfort of the structure that it provides, I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

Now, it's your turn. What do you do to get your kids back into school mode? How do you try to make the transition easier? Do you have any back-to-school traditions?

PS- A special prize is in it for the first one who can correctly name the movie this post's title is from.

4 comments:

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

That's so easy...I watch it each time it comes on... You've Got Mail!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh shucks! I was going to say You've Got Mail. I've must have seen it a hundred times!

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

You are so going to send me some sharpened pencils. I just know it. :)

Mandy said...

The boys get doughnuts for breakfast on the first day of school. I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to the even busier evenings but it will be nice to get them back on a good schedual.