4/12/07

A Day At Preschool OR All Hail Motrin!



Steven's birthday isn't until June, but at his preschool, each child gets his or her own birthday celebration. Today was his and BOY. WAS. IT. EVER. FUN!!!! (I hope the sarcasm in that last line came through okay. LOL!)

I knew I was in for a good day when I woke up with cramps AND a raging headache. I loaded up on Motrin and off we went.

When we arrived, we immediately played on the mini jungle gym, built a helicopter out of cardboard-brick-looking blocks and took a picture of the entire dinosaur family.

Another sign of a good day is when you start circle time and the teacher prefaces her whole lesson with something like, "Boys and girls, the last time we were here I went home with a REEEEAAAALLLLLLYYYY big headache because we were SOOOOOOOO loud. Let's try really hard to remember our inside voices today."

We lasted thought the months of the year song, the choo-choo song, a dinosaur lesson and singing the birthday song to Steven. Did you know that it is a requirement for preschool students to get up and act out each and every song they sing? Yup. And those songs repeat over and over and over again. YES THEY DO!!!

The whole experience was akin to living in an episode of Blue's Clues minus the cute cartoon characters and being able to, you know, TURN IT OFF!

Next, it was snack time. Steven got to pass out his treats and the teacher followed him around and poured a cup of milk for each child. I thought milk would go over better than the undiluted Hi-C concentrate I sent last time he brought in snacks.

To burn off our cookies and milk, the teacher put on the jungle hunt song which entailed jogging around in a circle and acting out each animal we found. The kids were trying to get me to crawl on my belly like a snake and crawl on my knees like a lion. It took some time, but I finally convinced them that doing so would cause me to toss the cookies I just ate. I was very happy when the last animal turned out to be a bird and I could just continue gasping for air jogging with my arms flapping.

We actually had a fun time and Steven got to do lots of things especially for the birthday kid. He got to wear a crown with his name on it, a birthday sticker and he even got to sit in his own birthday chair.

It only took 2 more Motrin when we left to stop the pounding in my head, so I was a happy girl.

6 comments:

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

I am the first to admit, i love kids...but even that doesn't sound like fun. They really sing the same songs and act them out????

Alexandra said...

It sounds like fun to me! We do that here at home, only sillier! I love this post, and the preschool looks marvelous. He looks like he had a great day. :)

Anonymous said...

You mean they celebrate their birthday even though it's not really their birthday? I think I'm missing something here.

I give those teachers so much credit. I don't think I'd last a day! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Ohh what a good day. Kind of.

I taught pre school deaf children. Trying to explain to them whey they need to be quiet is not possible. LOL

Mandy said...

Happy Peschool Birthday to Steven! I don't know if I would have survived that. I guess I'll see for myself on Saturday if you have suffered any lasting effects(ha,ha,ha)!

Michelle said...

Welcome to my world! That discribes my day everyday! (Of course I do work in a preschool!) LOL